Tags: Trump Administration | Donald Trump | GOP2016 | sean spicer | rnc | reports | cut

RNC's Spicer: Reports About Cutting Off Trump Funds 'Ridiculous'

Image: RNC's Spicer: Reports About Cutting Off Trump Funds 'Ridiculous'

Sean Spicer (Meredith Dake-O'Connor/CQ Roll Call via Getty Images)

By    |   Monday, 15 Aug 2016 05:17 PM

Republican National Committee Communications Director Sean Spicer has denied reports that the RNC is considering halting funds and support to GOP nominee Donald Trump, telling The Hill that there have been no such discussions.

Spicer also emphasized to Reuters that "it doesn't make logical sense" and would be "ridiculous" to do so with almost three months left before the election.

"Number one, you need a strong top of the ticket," he said. "Number two, we're only six points down [in national polls]."

Politico reported earlier that Republican officials had privately talked about stopping support and funding to Trump and redirecting the resources to down-ballot candidates who they consider still have a chance to win.

Those officials told Politico that waiting to do so until October to give the Trump campaign a chance to rebound would be too late for the funding to be used effectively someplace else.

The report came following a recent decision by several GOP lawmakers not to back Trump and after more than 70 Republicans sent a letter to RNC Chairman Reince Priebus urging him to cut off spending to the nominee.

In response to that, Trump threatened to stop raising funds for the Republican Party.
MSNBC points out that in the 1996 campaign the RNC did decide in the fall to redirect funding away from GOP presidential candidate Bob Dole when it was determined he had no chance to win.

The party instead put the resources into congressional races, which was credited with helping the GOP keep its Senate and House majorities that election despite losing the presidential race by a large margin.

However, some have pointed out that a major difference is that Dole himself had a credible campaign of his own, while Trump does not and is depending on the RNC's operational abilities to help him out.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
Republican National Committee Communications Director Sean Spicer has denied reports that the RNC is considering halting funds and support to GOP nominee Donald Trump, telling The Hill that there have been no such discussions.
sean spicer, rnc, reports, cut, trump, funds
303
2016-17-15
Monday, 15 Aug 2016 05:17 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved