The Department of Justice's targeting of Fox News correspondent James Rosen is "really, really chilling," particularly in light of DOJ's recent involvement in obtaining phone records from the Associated Press, Republican strategist Karl Rove said Monday.
Speaking with Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly, Rove said he considers the 2009 incident — in which the DOJ obtained a warrant to gain access to Rosen's phone records and emails — "deeply troubling" and thinks the spotlight should be on the source of the leak, not the reporter covering the story.
Latest: Is Benghazi a Cover Up? Is Obama at the Heart of It? Vote Here
"The focus ought to be on the people who do the leaking," Rove said. "The press is supposed to try to collect information and report it. That’s their job under the First Amendment and this is really, really chilling."
Rove said the testimony given by Attorney General Eric Holder before Congress last week regarding the AP situation, where DOJ obtained reporters' phone records,. makes the Rosen case "even more chilling."
"With regard to potential prosecution of the press, for the disclosure of material, that is something I have never been involved in, heard of or would think would be wise policy," Rove said, quoting Holder.
Rove called Holder's testimony "troubling' and hinted at culpability on Holder's part.
"The reason this is troubling to me is we do know that he said he [Holder] recused himself from the AP but he did not say that her recused himself from the James Rosen incident," Rove said.
"And this subpoena asked for by the FBI under Department of Justice guidlines could not have been requested without the approval of the Attorney General or, if he does recuse himself, the Deputy Attorney General," Rove added.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.