The revised talking points put out for Ambassador Susan Rice after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi amounted to a cover-up, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said.
“I would call it a cover-up in the extent that there was willful removal of information, which was obvious," said McCain, appearing on ABC's "This Week."
"(Second in command to the U.S. ambassador Gregory) Hicks said in his testimony his jaw dropped" when Rice said on "Face the Nation" that the attack was not terrorism, McCain said. "I was on another Sunday morning show after Susan Rice, my jaw dropped. I said look, people don’t bring rocket-propelled grenades and mortars to demonstrations."
Latest: Is Obama in Cover-Up on Benghazi? Vote Here
ABC News reported on Friday that talking points were changed 12 times to eliminate items the State Department feared might give Congress reason to criticize the department, headed at the time by Hillary Clinton.
"The narrative of the Obama campaign is 'Bin Laden is dead, al Qaida is on the run, not to worry about anything,'" McCain said, "and here comes this attack on Benghazi."
The cover-up could include Clinton, McCain said. "I think the secretary of state has played a role in this. She had to have been in the loop some way, but we don’t know for sure."
He also agreed with calls for a select committee to investigate further. He did not agree, however, with fellow senator James Inhofe, R-Okla., who last week said impeachment of the president might be called for.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.