The White House reportedly plans to hand over documents on Benghazi so it can secure John Brennan's confirmation to head the CIA, including email messages between top security officials discussing how to describe the Sept. 11 attack.
The Obama administration will send copies of the emails to the Senate Intelligence Committee, a Senate aide confirmed Friday, according to Politico
The White House has already released official timelines, conducted an investigation and has sent Cabinet officials in for Senate hearings.
Urgent: High Gas Prices: Is it Obama’s Fault? Vote Now
White House spokesman Tommy Vietor declined comment on whether the documents will be surrendered, reports Politico. He said the White House is having conversations with members of Congress and plans to continue those talks.
Several key Republicans want the additional White House documents about the attacks in Libya before they move forward on Brennan, but Vietor said the “confirmation process should be about the nominees and their ability to do the jobs they're nominated for.”
The documents may or may not satisfy Republican Sens. John McCain, of Arizona, and Lindsey Graham, of South Carolina, both of whom have been critical of the Obama administration's response to the Benghazi attack, in which four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed.
The senators accuse the White House of a cover-up larger than Watergate, and Obama's first choice for secretary of State, U.N. Ambassador Susan rice, dropped out of contention for the post earlier this year based on her public comments in the initial days following the attack.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.