Tags: Fox News | US | TV | Fox | DNC Murder

Fox Removes Report from Website About Murdered DNC Staffer

Image: Fox Removes Report from Website About Murdered DNC Staffer

By    |   Tuesday, 23 May 2017 06:45 PM

Fox News has retracted a story it posted on the death of former Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich alleging that Rich had contact with WikiLeaks hours before he was shot.

"The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting," Fox said in a brief statement posted on its website Tuesday. "Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed."

The story was published on May 16 and has also been heavily cited by Fox News host Sean Hannity, who said Tuesday he would still continue to talk about Rich’s death.

"I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com, I retracted nothing," Hannity said on his nationally syndicated radio program. "For those accusing me of pushing a conspiracy theory, you are the biggest phony hypocrites in the entire world.”

The Fox story cited “investigative sources” who said Rich had been in touch with WikiLeaks some time before his death and also quoted a private investigator who claimed there was an email exchange between Rich and WikiLeaks. Some conservative outlets have sought to link Rich’s death to Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and the release of hacked emails to WikiLeaks from the DNC.

The report, published a week earlier, quoted a private investigator suggesting that Rich had some connection to Wikileaks and its leaks of Democratic National Committee emails during the last campaign.

Rich's family has said they don't believe their son, who was shot in July 2016 in Washington, gave any information to WikiLeaks. The investigator has since recanted his claim, and the independent researcher Politifact.com has said the notion that Rich was involved in the leak was flimsy and illogical.

No arrests have been made in the shooting. Washington police have said they think Rich was killed in a random robbery attempt, but conspiracy theories have emerged about his death.

Although Fox removed the story from its website, its statement did not say the story was wrong. The network said it will continue to investigate the story and provide updates as warranted.

The network had no other comment beyond the published statement on Tuesday. It also made no mention of Fox News Channel star Sean Hannity, who has done stories about the case on his prime-time television show.

Hannity also tweeted a link to a website promoting the theory:

He also alluded to the controversy in remarks during his Fox News show Tuesday night.

"I promise you, I am not going to stop doing my job," he said. "To the extent of my ability, I'm not going to stop trying to find the truth. That's what we do here every single day…

"As for my job here at the Fox News Channel, there is an effort to silence me," he added. "Media Matters is attacking my advertising base. That's what we have called liberal fascism. Attack, boycott – all in an effort to silence conservatives. I serve at the pleasure of the Fox News Channel. I'm here to do my job every night. I'm under contract as long as they seem to want me."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Fox News says it has removed from its website a speculative story about the 2016 murder of Democratic National Committee employee Seth Rich because it "was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting."The report,...
US, TV, Fox, DNC Murder
552
2017-45-23
Tuesday, 23 May 2017 06:45 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved