Tags: Iran | nuclear | deal | jose maria aznar

Ex-Spanish Pres. Aznar: US Striking 'A Very Bad Deal' With Iran

By    |   Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 09:28 PM

Western leaders routinely declare that no nuclear agreement with Iran would be better than a bad one. For the most part, it is empty rhetoric, according to former Spanish President Jose Maria Aznar, who says the United States and five other international powers are caving in to the Iranians on virtually every key issue.

More than a decade ago, the United Nations passed several resolutions calling for a complete dismantling of Tehran's uranium-enrichment capabilities. But "in the past year and a half, that goal was abandoned by Western negotiators, and Iran was granted the right to enrich," Aznar writes in the Wall Street Journal.

When Western countries began nuclear negotiations with Tehran 10 years ago, the Islamic Republic lacked the ability to build an atomic bomb. But today it "has all the knowledge, components and infrastructure to produce fissile material and test delivery systems, and it has the know-how to master weaponization," he writes.

Moreover, Iran has been illicitly working to develop nuclear weapons for decades. It only admitted to the existence of a covert nuclear program in 2002 after it was exposed by Iranian dissidents. Yet, 12 years later, the International Atomic Energy Agency (the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog) reports that Tehran continues to hide critical information about its nuclear program.

If Iran’s leaders "have any interest in reaching an agreement, it is because they have been forced to consider it," Aznar writes. "Economic sanctions became too costly for the leaders’ own survival."

Last year, the West lifted some sanctions to reward Iran for coming to the negotiating table. There are new calls for additional "flexibility" on sanctions, even though such concessions "will only strengthen the hard-liners in Tehran who believe that the West is simply debating between appeasement and outright capitulation," Aznar concludes.

For their part, Iranian officials say the seven-month extension of talks announced this week constitutes a defeat for U.S. efforts to rein in their country’s nuclear program. The American side has "very clearly surrendered to Iran’s might, and this is obvious in their behavior in the region and in the negotiations," said Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari, commander of the Revolutionary Guards.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Western leaders routinely declare that no nuclear agreement with Iran would be better than a bad one. For the most part, it is empty rhetoric, according to former Spanish President Jose Maria Aznar, who says...
nuclear, deal, jose maria aznar
357
2014-28-26
Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 09:28 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved