An Internet poll sponsored by NewsMax.com reveals that Americans believe Idaho Sen. Larry Craig should follow through on his original promise and resign in the wake of his arrest in an airport sex sting.
Craig on Thursday refused to resign from the Senate despite a judge’s ruling that denied his efforts to withdraw the guilty plea he entered in August. Most respondents in the NewsMax poll believe his action is a “bad idea.”
But nearly 7 in 10 respondents think the media would treat a Democrat differently in a similar situation.
NewsMax will provide the results of this poll to major media and share them with radio talk show hosts across the country.
Here are the poll questions and results:
1. Do you believe Sen. Craig when he says he did not engage in lewd conduct at an airport bathroom?
Yes: 27 percent
No: 73 percent
2. Has media coverage of this episode been fair to Craig?
Fair: 52 percent
Not Fair: 48 percent
3. Will the Craig scandal hurt Republicans at the next election in 2008?
Help Republicans: 2 percent
Hurt Republicans: 51 percent
No Difference: 47 percent
4. Would a Democrat facing the same scandal be treated differently by the media?
Treated Same: 31 percent
Treated Differently: 69 percent
5. Should Sen. Craig resign as he promised from the U.S. Senate?
Resign: 66 percent
Stay in Office: 34 percent
6. Sen. Craig is reconsidering his decision to resign. Do you think this is a good idea or bad idea?
Good Idea: 32 percent
Bad Idea: 68 percent
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.