Rubio Wants Senate Probe of State Department on Benghazi

Wednesday, 15 Jan 2014 11:08 PM

By Greg Richter

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Sen. Marco Rubio wants the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on which he sits, to investigate why the State Department didn't prevent the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Rubio, R-Fl., made the call on Fox News Channel's "Hannity" on Wednesday after a report earlier in the day from the Senate Intelligence Committee that the attack could have been prevented. The Sept. 11, 2012, attack killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.

The Foreign Relations Committee, which has jurisdiction over the State Department, has done nothing on Benghazi except hold a hearing in which Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" what the motivation was for the attack.

There was a steady stream of information that the Benghazi facility was in grave danger, Rubio noted. There had already been attacks on the compound, and the British ambassador and the Red Cross had already pulled out of Benghazi because of attacks and threats.

The United States probably shouldn't have still been there at that point, Rubio said.

"Who's responsible for that? The buck stops with Hillary Clinton," he said. No plan was in place to rescue people if there was trouble, he said, even though intelligence reports said the danger was growing.

Rubio accused the Obama administration of having political motives for saying the attack was a result of an out-of-control protest over an anti-Muslim video even after administration officials knew it was a planned attack.

"You don't bring shoulder-fired rockets, you don't bring the kind of armaments they had, to a spontaneous protest," he said.

But Obama, in the middle of a tough re-election campaign, had said the terrorist group al-Qaida was "on the run." To admit the attack was terror-related would have been politically disastrous, Rubio said.

Even now, al-Qaida is re-forming in places such as north Africa, Syria, and Iraq, he noted.

"It shows a blind spot this administration has," he said.



© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Israel's Netanyahu Slams Obama on Settlements Criticism

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 06:19 AM

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back at the White House after Washington criticised Israeli plans to build thousan . . .

Adm. Mike Mullen: Global War on Terror Will Last 30 to 40 Years

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 06:16 AM

Former Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen says the global war on terror will last 30-40 years, and he thinks America . . .

UN Report: ISIS Committing 'Staggering' Numbers of Mass Executions, Rapes in Iraq

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 06:11 AM

Islamic State insurgents in Iraq have carried out mass executions, abducted women and girls as sex slaves, and used chil . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved