Tags: Immigration | Immigration | work permits | rescind | executive action

Judge's Sanctions Could Cost 100,000 'Dreamers' Their Three-Year Work Permits

By    |   Monday, 06 Apr 2015 08:16 AM

U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen could soon decide whether to rescind three-year work permits for 100,000 illegal immigrants who got them while his court was considering an appeal by 26 states against President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration, USA Today reported.

The states have argued that the president exceeded his authority when he acted without congressional approval.

The president announced on Nov. 20, 2014 that he was broadening the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or Dreamers program — which protected from deportation individuals who were brought to the United States illegally as children — by removing earlier age restrictions. Within days, Dreamers under the original June 15, 2012 program were given three-year instead of two-year work permits.

On Feb. 16, 2015, Hanen issued a preliminary injunction halting the expanded program.
The judge was not told that the Obama administration had begun issuing the three-year permits under the old program. He was told that the programs would begin on Feb. 18, according to USA Today.

Hanen was angered to learn on March 3 that 108,081 "Dreamers" had already been issued permits.

Attorneys for the government said they did not tell the judge that three-year permits were being issued under the 2012 program because Hanen's injunction applied to the 2014 expanded program, USA Today reported.

The states are demanding to know if the Justice Department intentionally misled the court. The judge could require that the Dreamers reapply for two-year permits or order that they not be issued work permits at all while the case is in progress.

Obama administration critics have said that the goal was to create a situation that would be difficult to reverse. Some states have now already issued three-year driver's licenses linked to the three-year work permits, according to USA Today.

"The question is, are they going to ask for our permits back?" said 29 year-old Cesar Espinosa of Houston who was granted a three-year permit in December after applying to renew the two-year permit he had received in December 2012. Espinosa came to the country at age 4, is a graduate of the University of Houston, and now directs a non-profit group that assists people applying for the Dreamers program, USA Today reported.

Meanwhile, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans is scheduled to hear an appeal to Hanen's preliminary injunction on April 17, The New York Times reported.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen could soon decide whether to rescind three-year work permits for 100,000 illegal immigrants who got them while his court was considering an appeal by 26 states against President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration, USA Today reported.
Immigration, work permits, rescind, executive action
395
2015-16-06
Monday, 06 Apr 2015 08:16 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved