Tags: Fox News | ISIS/Islamic State | fox news | jordan | isis | pilot | burning

Howard Kurtz: Fox Wrong to Have Posted ISIS Video of Pilot

By    |   Thursday, 05 Feb 2015 06:00 AM

Fox News' media journalist Howard Kurtz said he disagrees with his network's decision to post online the entire Islamic State (ISIS) video showing the burning death of a Jordanian military pilot, but he said he understands the arguments for making it available.

"I fear that many of us in the media are helping ISIS spread its propaganda, using its fear tactics," Kurtz said on Fox News Channel's "The Kelly File."

Kurtz said he felt the same way about the ISIS beheading videos. Even though Fox and other news outlets showed only still images, they became so pervasive that they lost their shock appeal.

"When that tactic became so familiar, these terrorists, these butchers, went to the even more sick and depraved and barbaric method of burning a man to death," Kurtz said, "and I just have a concern that we are helping spread the fear that ISIS wants us so badly to spread."

The video was never shown on Fox News Channel, though programs chose different ways to report on it. Anchor Shepard Smith chose not to even show still shots, though he did describe the entire video in graphic detail. Most other shows, including "The Kelly File,"  showed still photos, including a photo of when the flames began to engulf Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh.

"Kelly File" host Megyn Kelly told Kurtz she felt the still shots showed the barbarity of the act while not showing the worst of the pilot's agony.

"It's as if we're in World War II, Howie, and there's a chance to see inside the concentration camp and inside the gas chamber as the horror was happening," Kelly said.

"And at some point in this battle do we not just have to remind people of the enemy we face … lest we be accused later of ignoring that enemy and not doing enough to combat it?"

Kurtz said he was more comfortable with the video being shown only on the Fox News website because people could then choose whether to watch it.

"But, to be honest, part of me also says, why are we making it easier for people to see this monstrous footage?" he said.

Fox News' executive vice president and executive editor John Moody had earlier defended the move, saying it was done "in the interest of showing the shocking depths of ISIS' depravity."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Fox News' media journalist Howard Kurtz said he disagrees with his network's decision to post online the entire Islamic State (ISIS) video showing the burning death of a Jordanian military pilot, but he said he understands the arguments for making it available.
fox news, jordan, isis, pilot, burning, video
391
2015-00-05
Thursday, 05 Feb 2015 06:00 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved