Tags: bill de blasio | new york city | sanctuary city | doj | withhold funds

De Blasio: Will Sue DOJ if They Withhold Funds Due to Sanctuary City Status

Image: De Blasio: Will Sue DOJ if They Withhold Funds Due to Sanctuary City Status
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (Photo by Albin Lohr-Jones/Sipa via AP Images)

By    |   Tuesday, 08 Aug 2017 11:49 AM

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said he does not have plans to sue the Department of Justice, but he is ready to do so if the department blocks funding over the city's sanctuary city status.

"If there is a specific effort to withhold funding, we're ready to join in legal action to stop it. So far there has not been any funding withheld, so our message is, if funding actually starts to be withheld, then we will take legal action," de Blasio said at a press meeting Monday to The Daily Caller.

The Daily Caller got the response when asking if de Blasio planned to join Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's lawsuit filed Monday over the DOJ's withholding of police grant funds to sanctuary cities.

The mayor defended New York's policies on immigration in a letter to the Justice Department in June, according to The New York Times.

In the letter, de Blasio said New York was cooperating with immigration officials to the extent that the federal law requires.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said he does not have plans to sue the Department of Justice, but he is ready to do so if the department blocks funding over the city's sanctuary city status.
bill de blasio, new york city, sanctuary city, doj, withhold funds
171
2017-49-08
Tuesday, 08 Aug 2017 11:49 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved