Tags: Afghanistan | unrest | US | politics | military

Details of Aid to Afghan Army Now Secret

Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 07:23 PM

The U.S. military will no longer divulge facts and figures about its costly effort to assist Afghan security forces, declaring the information top secret, officials said Thursday.

The move marks an about-face for the Pentagon, which for the past six years has reported a range of data about the $65 billion program to build up the Afghan National Security Forces.

The information included how U.S. taxpayers' money has been spent and the state of the troubled country's police and army.

John Sopko, special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, voiced disappointment with the change and said the classification of such a volume of information was "unprecedented."

The U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Campbell, defended the move, saying the information, which includes an assessment of the combat readiness of Afghan units, could prove helpful to Taliban insurgents and needed to be kept secret.

"With lives literally on the line, I am sure you can join me in recognizing that we must be careful to avoid providing sensitive information to those that threaten our forces and Afghan forces, particularly information that can be used by such opposing forces to sharpen their attacks," Campbell wrote to the inspector general in a letter dated Jan. 18.

Data about the assistance program has provided a key measure for gauging the effect of the U.S.-led effort to bolster the Afghan forces, particularly as some of the details have exposed the shortcomings of the Afghan military.

The inspector general's regular updates on the state of the program have highlighted the Afghan force's problems with "attrition," as large numbers of recruits have died on the battlefield, deserted or quit.

The decision to withhold facts about the effort raises questions about the condition of the Afghan security forces after the withdrawal of most NATO troops last year.

A small, mostly American contingent of about 12,000 troops remains on the ground to advise and assist the Afghans.

Lawmakers criticized the secrecy, saying it undermined attempts to hold the government accountable for massive reconstruction projects.

"I'm offended that this previously unclassified information is now being classified, in a move deeply detrimental to our efforts to root out waste and fraud," said Senator Claire McCaskill, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

 

 

The New York Times condemned the move on its editorial page, saying "it strains credulity to believe that insurgents would become more proficient fighters by poring over lengthy inspector general reports about an increasingly forgotten war."

The newspaper, which first reported the change, added that keeping the information secret "unreasonably prevents American taxpayers from drawing informed conclusions about the returns on a $107.5 billion reconstruction investment that, adjusted for inflation, has surpassed the price tag of the Marshall Plan."

The State Department also was not forthcoming about its aid projects when contacted by the inspector general's office, the report said.

Congress has approved $107.5 billion for reconstruction in Afghanistan, with $15.3 billion yet to be disbursed.

© AFP 2017

 
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
The U.S. military will no longer divulge facts and figures about its costly effort to assist Afghan security forces, declaring the information top secret, officials said Thursday.The move marks an about-face for the Pentagon, which for the past six years has reported a...
Afghanistan, unrest, US, politics, military
487
2015-23-29
Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 07:23 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved