A new Zogby poll show that Barack Obama enjoys a 60 percent favorable rating as he prepares to take office — up from the 53 percent of the vote he garnered on Election Day.
But only about one in three respondents believe a President Obama will be able to move the U.S. out of recession.
In the Zogby International survey of nearly 3,500 likely voters, 41 percent of respondents rated Obama “very favorable” and 19 percent rated him “somewhat favorable,” while 15 percent chose “somewhat unfavorable” and 22 percent said “very unfavorable.” The remainder were “not sure.”
Also, 32 percent rated his job performance during the transition as “excellent” and 26 percent said “good,” for a total of 58 percent.
“Obama was elected with 53 percent of the vote and in a few weeks he’s raised that to 58 percent. That’s a positive sign,” said John Zogby, president and CEO of Zogby International.
“To see that positive sign as the crises actually worsen before he’s even president means that he’s swimming upstream. And thus far he’s swimming upstream pretty successfully.”
Respondents were split on whether Obama will be able to move the U.S. out of recession, with 35 percent saying “yes,” 31 percent “no,” and 34 percent “not sure.”
As for their expectations for Obama’s first year as president, 50 percent of those polled said the economy will continue to decline, but at a slower rate; 27 percent said the economy will remain the same; and 12 percent said the economy will grow, with 11 percent unsure.
A majority of respondents said they were either “very confident” or “somewhat confident” that Obama will be able to handle various issues, including the economy (59 percent), healthcare (55 percent), foreign affairs (57 percent), and the environment (64 percent).
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.