Question: How can I prevent blood clots in my legs?
Dr. Hibberd’s answer:
Blood clots in our legs are prevented by avoiding immobility for extended periods. Here are 11 ways to avoid blood clots:
1) Avoid extended bedrest if possible.
2) Use clot prophylactic medication when advised.
3) Use one baby aspirin daily to reduce clotting risks after consulting your doctor.
4) Avoid extended sitting without stretch breaks every hour (such as on an airline flight).
5) Avoid constrictive bands around your legs.
6) Use full limb support hose if support stockings are needed.
7) If you have a clot predisposition, talk to your doctor about preventive medical strategies.
8) Treat any conditions that produce lower extremity edema or venous obstruction.
9) Vein function and drainage is enhanced by muscle contraction. Be sure to exercise regularly to maintain your muscle bulk.
10) Don’t smoke.
11) Avoid using birth control pills if you are a smoker.
SPECIAL: These 4 Things Happen Right Before a Heart Attack — Read More.
© 2015 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.