In Alzheimer’s disease, the active and healthy brain cells or neurons are destroyed. They are then replaced by nonfunctioning proteins that actively damage the entire brain. The cause of Alzheimer’s disease is unknown, but affected patients slowly and progressively lose their memory, personality, and almost every part of their cognitive functioning. There is no treatment for the condition, but researchers have stated a simple fact: It is possible to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s by actively strengthening your brain. This can be done by doing mental exercises or by consuming brain health foods.
Editor's note: No. 1 Best-Seller: A Revolutionary Heart-Disease Cure
Five Supplements That Can Promote Brain Health
Making lifestyle changes that particularly keep the brain healthy can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. This starts with a nutritious diet. However, not all of us have the time to eat healthy, and supplements are the next best option. Nutritional supplements contain concentrated doses of beneficial nutrients and they are easier to consume as well. Some of the most popular and effective supplements for better brain health are as follows:
• Creatine: This nitrogenous supplement is very popular as it boosts muscle power and assists in the growth of new cells. Scientists have found that creatine also plays a vital role in boosting brain activity and healing. A daily dose of 5,000 milligrams per day is recommended for optimum effects.
• Omega fatty acids: Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are extremely beneficial for brain health. The supplement is commonly found in deep sea fish. Recent studies show that fatty acids have brain-boosting properties that can actually delay age-related cognitive decline. Researchers recommend a daily dose of 1,200 to 2,400 milligrams.
• Bacopa monnieri: This rare herb is native to India and is supposed to have very strong brain-boosting properties. The herb is also anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, and analgesic in action. It's difficult to find this herb, but you can check with local Asian stores or websites for additional information.
• Gingko biloba: This herb is one of the best to boost memory power and brain health. It contains flavonoid glycosides and terpenoids that are supposed to improve memory, concentration, and cognitive ability. A dose of about 240 or 360 milligrams per day is best for brain health.
• Ginseng: Ginseng is a very powerful anti-inflammatory and adaptogenic herb. It can boost memory, improve attention, calm the mind, and even reduce fatigue. Naturopaths recommend a daily dose of 500 milligrams twice a day for best effects.
The Bottom Line
Supplements help improve brain health but it is recommended that you consult your personal physician before starting on any kind of supplement. To evaluate your risk for Alzheimer’s disease, make sure you get a complete medical evaluation done at least once a year.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.