Tags: Enfamil | infant | death | formula

Firm Says Formula Did Not Kill Infant

Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011 04:36 PM

The Illinois-based company Mead Johnson announced after a round of internal testing that its flagship Enfamil powdered baby formula is safe.
The product was removed from WalMart stores nationwide last week after the death of a Missouri infant who had consumed it. The child tested positive for the bacteria cronobacter, a common environmental contaminant that has been found in baby formula.
An ongoing federal investigation so far has found no link between the death and Enfamil.
“These new results reaffirm the testing conducted before the batch was made available to retailers and consumers,” the company said in a statement. “Based on both sets of tests, Mead Johnson can say with confidence that Enfamil Premium Newborn formula, like every infant formula the company produces, is safe.”
The statement said the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control are seeking environmental origins for the cronobacter bacteria.
There have been 120 cases of infection of the bacteria in infants since 1958, according to the CDC. It can cause septicemia and meningitis, which are deadly in about 40 percent of cases.

© HealthDay

 
1Like our page
2Share
Health-Wire
Mead Johnson says its Enfamil infant formula is safe and did not kill an infant that died recently after consuming the product.
Enfamil,infant,death,formula,
180
2011-36-27
Tuesday, 27 Dec 2011 04:36 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved