Tags: cancer | patient | survival | deaths

Cancer Patients Often Die From Other Causes

Thursday, 05 Apr 2012 12:32 PM





Cancer was once a death sentence. But no more. A new study has found nearly half the people diagnosed with cancer in the U.S. actually die from other causes.
These findings suggest people living with cancer could benefit from more comprehensive, less cancer-focused health care approaches.
The study, presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Richmond this week, analyzed the health records of 1,807 patients diagnosed with breast, prostate, cervical, lung, colorectal and other cancers.
Researchers from Virginia Commonwealth University followed patients for more than 18 years, during which 776 died. But only 51 percent died from cancer; the other 49 percent died from other causes – primarily heart disease.
The longer patients survived after their cancer diagnosis, the more likely they were to die from another disease.
“We realized that the mortality rates for some types of cancer, such as breast cancer, had declined," said lead researcher Dr. Yi Ning. "Cancer survivors live much longer than they did several decades ago. So with this large group of cancer survivors, we need to pay more attention to cancer survivors' overall health."

© HealthDay

 
1Like our page
2Share
Health-Wire
Nearly half the people diagnosed with cancer in the U.S. actually die from other conditions.
cancer,patient,survival,deaths
187
2012-32-05
Thursday, 05 Apr 2012 12:32 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved