Tags: barbecue brushes | grill brushes | barbecue brush hazard | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Metal Brush Bristles in Your Barbecue?

Monday, 09 Jul 2012 06:49 AM

Be careful not to eat bristles from barbecue brushes with your next burger, the CDC said Friday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that a small but significant number of Americans are inhaling the brush bristles that get stuck to the grill — sometimes with deadly consequences.

According to CBS News, the wire grill-cleaning brush bristles can get stuck in food and then lodged into the throats of eaters.

The bristles have been found to puncture stomach and stab through soft neck tissue.

There have been six cases of such ingestions in the last two years in one Rhode Island hospital, said Wired.

This has led officials to believe that the problem is much more common than previously thought.

The Los Angeles Times said that in issuing the warning, the CDC is trying to prevent future incidents while keeping doctors on the lookout for symptoms that may point to bristle ingestion.

The CDC issed the warning in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Copyright 2012 Global Post

© HealthDay

 
1Like our page
2Share
Health-News
People eating barbecue are being injured by metal bristles from grill cleaning brushes that wind up in food, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns.
barbecue brushes,grill brushes,barbecue brush hazard,Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
168
2012-49-09
Monday, 09 Jul 2012 06:49 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved