A kidney infection is a urinary tract infection that begins in the bladder or urethra and travels up to the kidneys. A kidney infection is also termed as pyelonephritis. Kidney infections need immediate medical attention. If a kidney infection is not treated properly, it may cause permanent damage to the kidneys.
There are two types of kidney infection: complicated kidney infection and uncomplicated kidney infection, depending upon whether the infection can cause serious complications. Kidney infection is usually caused by E. coli bacteria that may spread from the urethra or bladder and infect the kidneys.
Signs and Symptoms of Kidney Infection
Women suffering from a urinary tract infection suffer from similar signs and symptoms as those faced by patients of a kidney infection. Frequent, urgent, and painful urination are some of the signs and symptoms that pyelonephritis patients may face at an early stage. As the disease progresses, the signs and symptoms may become severe.
It hardly takes a few hours for the signs and symptoms to develop. Some patients of chronic type infection may experience mild or lack of symptoms. Patients of kidney infection may experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Pain in the groin
- Pain in the side
- Uncontrollable shivering
- Back pain
- High fever
Some severe signs and symptoms may include the following:
- Blood in urine
- Foul-smelling urine
- Abdominal pain
- Burning sensation
There are a number of treatments available for treating the signs and symptoms of a kidney infection. Natural treatments can also be helpful. Blood and urine tests can detect the type of treatments helpful for the patients. Some of the methods for treating the signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Antibiotics are useful treatments for kidney infection. They are effective for treatment of acute types of infection. Medicines are usually prescribed for around 10 to 14 days though the infection may be reduced in one to two days.
- Treatments for reducing the signs and symptoms can include painkillers. They are effective for reducing back pain and treating fever. Strong painkillers may be needed for the treatment of severe back pain.
- Application of heat can be helpful in relieving the symptoms such as back pain, abdominal pain etc. Placing a heating pad on the abdomen can be helpful.
- Intake of plenty of water on a daily basis can help in the treatments. Water is beneficial for health and is found to treat a number of health conditions.
- Cranberry juice is one of the natural treatments helpful for preventing bacterial infection. Consumption of cranberry juice is recommended to the patients as it reduces infection.
- Surgery is one of the beneficial treatments that help in removing any structural problems in the kidneys that are responsible for causing infection. It can help to remove any obstructions in the kidneys.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.