Debrett's "A-Z of Modern Manners" claims to be the authority on "all matters of etiquette, social occasions ... and fine style." And it would be rude to disagree, or so they imply. About good posture, they say: It makes you appear taller and slimmer, and you will seem more confident and positive.
(They've almost got it right.) Good posture is not just about appearing to be slimmer; if you're overweight, improving your posture can help you shed unwanted pounds. It takes effort to maintain good posture, and that burns calories. It also improves respiration, which improves blood flow and revs your metabolism. Now you're burning even more calories!
Here's how to stand straight, so (along with a healthful diet and walking 10,000 steps a day) you'll lose that oh-so-nasty belly fat (it's bad for the heart, brain and sex life). Hint: Try this with or without a book on your head!
1. Keep the top of your head straight up toward the sky.
2. Relax your shoulders and keep them down and back.
3. Don't jut your chin forward or tuck it in; keep it parallel to the floor; your neck should be upright, not tilted.
4. Your abdominals should be engaged; not straining, but working to keep you aligned.
5. Distribute your weight evenly over your hips and legs. Now you're in a great position to go to www.sharecare.com for a walking program and get "YOU: On a Diet" for smart food choices. Hint: Avoid the Five Food Felons; enjoy all else.
© King Features Syndicate