The CEO of Craigslist admits he did not complain to eBay CEO Meg Whitman when eBay began competing in the online classifieds market.
Under cross-examination Tuesday from an eBay attorney, James Buckmaster said he did not contact Whitman after eBay began acquiring several classifieds sites overseas and launched its own international classifieds site within months of taking a minority stake in Craigslist in 2004.
Not until eBay launched its classified site in the U.S. in 2007 did Craigslist seek to end their relationship, a request that Whitman, now running for California governor, rejected.
Buckmaster was testifying in a lawsuit in which eBay is challenging the actions taken by Craigslist officials to dilute eBay's minority stake after their falling out.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) — The CEO of Craigslist says takeover defenses the company adopted last year were warranted given the threat posed to the online classifieds site by eBay.
Craigslist CEO James Buckmaster said Tuesday that after eBay launched a competing classified site in the U.S. in 2007 and diverted Internet users looking for Craigslist to its own sites, it became clear that eBay was a threat.
Buckmaster said that in response to eBay's attacks on Craigslist, the company adopted a series of antitakeover measures in January 2008 after careful consideration.
Buckmaster is testifying in a lawsuit filed by eBay challenging the actions taken by Craigslist officials to dilute eBay's minority stake after their falling out.
© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.