The U.S. is still investigating whether the phones of Sept. 11 victims were hacked by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp., a lawyer for relatives of those killed in the terrorist attacks said.
Norman Siegel, a New York lawyer who represents the relatives of 9/11 victims, said Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. met Wednesday with about eight family members. Holder wouldn’t say whether federal investigators found any evidence that News Corp.’s reporters obtained phone records, Siegel said, adding that they were told the investigation is still preliminary.
“This is such a high priority for the Justice Department that the attorney general is briefed on it every single day,” Charles Wolf, whose wife was killed in the attacks, said at a news conference after the meeting.
The family members sought the meeting last month after seeing media reports that News Corp. reporters tried unsuccessfully to get a former New York police officer to obtain phone records of Sept. 11 victims, Siegel said.
The 75 minute meeting Wednesday at the Justice Department in Washington included five officials from the department and three from the FBI, Siegel said.
© Copyright 2017 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.