Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has altered his story surrounding the visit to his ex-wife’s home on Super Bowl Sunday that triggered a trespassing complaint.
Sanford, now running for Congress as a First Congressional District candidate, originally said he entered Jenny Sanford’s house on Feb. 3 because he didn't want his youngest son to watch the Super Bowl alone.
But on Tuesday, he said his youngest son was not alone, with a second son also present at the residence that day, the IslandPacket.com
news website reports.
The revelation came during a campaign stop in Hilton Head, but Sanford insisted he wasn’t changing his story.
"I've never said there was one son there," Sanford told reporters.
But in a statement earlier this month, he said: "I did, indeed, watch the second half of the Super Bowl at the beach house with our 14-year-old son because as a father, I didn't think he should watch it alone."
Sanford must appear in court next month to answer a complaint filed by his ex-wife, alleging he has repeatedly entered her home without permission, violating the terms of their divorce settlement.
Reached by IslandPacket.com, Jenny Sanford declined to comment.
Sanford, a Republican, will face Democratic nominee Elizabeth Colbert Busch in a May 7 special election.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.