Tags: nuclear | military | weapons | safety

US Officers Left Blast Door Open at Nuclear Missile Posts

Tuesday, 22 Oct 2013 06:10 PM

 

US Air Force officers in charge of launching nuclear missiles have been punished twice this year for leaving open a blast door at their command posts, officials said Tuesday.

The two-man crews, who control the launch keys for nuclear missiles, are forbidden from opening such doors at their underground "capsules" unless both officers are awake to ensure strict control of the destructive weapons.

"There were two cases in the last year where non-judicial punishment was given for a violation for leaving the blast doors open when they should have been shut," said Lieutenant Colonel John Sheets, spokesman for the military's Global Strike Command.

At Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota in April, while one crew member was napping, his counterpart opened the blast door when a cook came to deliver their meals, Sheets said.

And at Malmstrom Air Force base in Montana in May, one officer left the door open when a maintenance team came do repairs, even though his fellow crew member was asleep in his quarters, the spokesman said.

In both cases, the napping officer should have been wakened before the blast door was opened, Sheets said.

The incidents were first reported by the Associated Press.

Drafted during the Cold War era, the rules for the blast door are designed to ensure strict control and security for the intercontinental ballistic missiles.

The incidents are the latest in a string of embarrassing episodes for the US military's nuclear mission. Inspections at missile bases this year exposed problems and two top officers who oversee the arsenal were sacked from their posts this month over alleged personal misconduct.

Some skeptics say the nuclear forces have become irrelevant with the demise of the Soviet Union and that Air Force officers do not see the mission as a promising career path.

But the Air Force insisted the incidents do not reflect a deeper problem with the safety and security of the nuclear arsenal.

"Our command is still focused on excellence," Sheets told AFP.

"They strive for perfection. And when there are issues, when people fall short, they are held accountable," he said.

The two-man crews at both sites received administrative punishment from commanders at the bases over the incidents.

At Minot, the crew commander had to forfeit wages over a two-month period while the other crew member was given a letter of "admonishment," according to Sheets.

At Malmstrom, meanwhile, the crew commander had to forfeit wages for a two-month period and is facing a possible discharge. The other crew member was given a letter of reprimand.

 

© AFP 2015

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Army Officer: Bergdahl Charged With Desertion, WH Wants It Kept Quiet

Monday, 26 Jan 2015 23:06 PM

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been charged with desertion, but the White House is trying to keep the story under wraps, a  . . .

Indiana Gov. Pence to Launch News Website

Monday, 26 Jan 2015 23:03 PM

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, a Republican, is poised to launch a state-run news website that he says will break news stories . . .

Snowstorm Threatens to Paralyze Northeast for Days

Monday, 26 Jan 2015 18:12 PM

Tens of millions of people along the Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor rushed to get home and settle in Monday as a fearso . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved