Fallout from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation dust-up with Planned Parenthood in late January continues. Several executive are leaving Komen and questions about their fundraising ability have been raised, The Washington Post
On January 31, Komen cut off funding to Planned Parenthood, long a target of conservative and anti-abortion groups. Facing an outcry, Komen reversed course. The chief executives of the Greater New York and Oregon affiliates are leaving along with three officials at the group’s Dallas headquarters, the Post reported. Komen is also reviewing budgets in anticipation of revenue declines.
Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun declined to comment on the internal budget process, but told the Post, “It goes without saying that you can’t budget for things you don’t know are going to happen.” Leadership apologized at Komen’s annual meeting with affiliates last month and is looking for ways to give affiliates more of a voice in decision-making.
“I think there was genuine compassion and really offering an open door to wanting to work together to meet our mission,” Robin Prothro, executive director of Komen’s Maryland affiliate, told the Post. However, she added that some members thought that some of Komen’s leadership would have to leave in order for the group to move forward.
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.