Rhode Island First: Inmate Gets Liver Transplant on Taxpayers

Tuesday, 07 Aug 2012 08:29 PM

By Todd Beamon

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A prison inmate in Rhode Island has received a liver transplant at a Boston hospital – the first in that state to undergo an organ transplant, a corrections spokeswoman said.

Jose Pacheco, 27, is serving a 6 1/2-year sentence for robbery at the Adult Correctional Institutions in Rhode Island, the Providence Journal reports.

The procedure, which was confirmed on Monday by state Corrections Department spokeswoman Tracey Zeckhausen, occurred last week in Boston because no Rhode Island hospital performs liver transplants.

Costs for a liver transplant could top $1 million. Rhode Island is required, by U.S. Supreme Court precedent, to pay 40 percent of the expenses, with the remaining 60 percent covered by Medicare, the Journal reports.

The justices ruled in 1975 that denying prisoners required medical treatment amounted to cruel and unusual punishment.

Pacheco was sentenced in June 2011 after pleading no contest to second-degree robbery, possession of stolen car parts and conspiracy.

Since 2006, he has also been sentenced multiple times on various drug-possession charges, including possession of and intent to deliver cocaine, the Journal reports.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Expert: 'Unusual' That Ebola Medical Staff Is Not Quarantined

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 22:43 PM

Infectious disease expert Dr. Robert Lahita says he is surprised medical personnel who have worked directly with Ebola p . . .

Rep. Charlie Rangel: ISIS Is Not a National Security Threat

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 22:34 PM

Rep. Charlie Rangel doesn't see a need or a reason for the U.S. to use military force against the Islamic State (ISIS),  . . .

Ex-Gov Turned Cannabis CEO: Pot Legal Across US by 2024

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 22:25 PM

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, who runs a publicly traded marijuana products company called Cannabis Sativa, Inc.  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved