Florida Gov. Rick Scott said the state is making sure it doesn’t deprive legal voters of their rights as it purges noncitizens from the voter rolls. It’s a sensitive matter to him, since he was once told he could couldn’t vote — because he was dead.
The Republican governor said that when he tried to vote in 2006, he was told he had been removed from the voter rolls.
“They said I passed away,” Scott told WFLA in Tallahassee. “I said, ‘Here’s my driver’s license. I’m here, I’m really alive.’ So they allowed me to vote provisionally.”
URGENT: Will Obama Be Defeated? Vote Here!
The incident occurred before Scott entered politics. Election officials said his provisional ballot was counted.
Scott has said that so far no U.S. citizens have been removed from the voter rolls. However, The Miami Herald
reported Thursday that at least nine people have been stricken from the rolls in Collier and Lee counties, although election officials have no proof that they are not citizens.
Officials say more than 100 noncitizens have been found on the rolls so far.
Voting-rights groups and the U.S. Justice Department are suing to stop Scott’s program, saying it may scare off legitimate voters. Scott says he wants to make sure illegal voters aren’t “diluting” the vote.
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.