Tags: four | arrested | terrorism | los | angeles | fbi

Four Men Charged in California with Terrorist Plot

Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012 07:32 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Four men have been arrested in southern California and charged with plotting to kill Americans overseas by joining up with al-Qaida to engage in "violent jihad" or Islamic holy war, the FBI said on Monday.

Other charges the men face include plotting to bomb government facilities and conspiracy to kill Americans.

Since the Sept. 11 2001 attacks, the U.S. government has stepped up surveillance efforts to catch both domestic and foreign militants, but has repeatedly warned that such groups continue to pose a threat.

The authorities said Sohiel Omar Kabir, 34, traveled to Afghanistan where he planned to introduce the other suspects to his al-Qaida contacts. Kabir is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Afghanistan and served in the U.S. Air Force from 2000 to 2001.

Also arrested were Ralph Deleon, 23, of Ontario, California; Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales, 21, of Upland; and Arifeen David Gojali, 21, of Riverside. If convicted, the men face up to 15 years in prison.

The FBI said in its complaint that Kabir had introduced Deleon and Santana to radical Islamic teachings in 2010, including those of al-Qaida leader Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed by a U.S. drone. Deleon and Santana then converted to Islam.

In one conversation with an FBI confidential source, Santana and Deleon discussed their preferred roles when it came to carrying out attacks.

Santana stated that he had experience with firearms and that he wanted to become a sniper, while Deleon said he wanted to be on the front line but that his second choice was handling explosives.

Both men also indicated they were willing to kill people they perceived to be enemies. When asked if he had thought about how it would feel to kill someone, Santana told the informant: "The more I think about it, the more it excites me".

Deleon is a lawful permanent resident alien who was born in the Philippines, and Santana is a lawful permanent resident who was born in Mexico and had applied to become a U.S. citizen, according to the FBI.

In September 2012, Deleon and Santana recruited Gojali, a U.S. citizen. The three men planned to travel overseas for training and to carry out attacks in Afghanistan or Yemen.

In preparation for their trip, the FBI said the men had removed all radical Islamic postings from their Facebook accounts. Deleon and Santana also worked out and practiced shooting assault rifles at a Los Angeles firing range.

Just last week, the three men sold personal belongings, including Deleon's car, and bought airline tickets to travel from Mexico City to Istanbul, Turkey, on Nov. 18. They then planned to make their way to Kabul, Afghanistan, the FBI said.

Santana and Deleon were taken into federal custody following their hearing in a U.S. district court in Riverside, California, on Monday afternoon. Gojali's hearing will be continued on Nov. 26. Kabir is in custody in Afghanistan, the FBI said.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

CIS: Obama Needs to Bar Travelers from Ebola-Stricken Nations

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 09:14 AM

President Barack Obama has the authority and responsibility to bar travelers from the three Ebola-stricken countries ,  . . .

Parents Fearing Ebola Pull Kids from School

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 08:29 AM

Dallas parents are pulling their children from school amid fears of exposure to Ebola after five children are believed t . . .

Justice Department Unable to Find Racial Motive in Trayvon Martin Shooting

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 08:03 AM

The Justice Department's civil rights division is unlikely for lack of evidence to move ahead with federal charges again . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved