California Officials Blow up Explosives-Filled Home

Sunday, 16 Feb 2014 05:17 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

Sheriff's deputies in far Northern California are burning down a mobile home where more than 60 pounds of highly volatile explosive material was found, forcing dozens of residents to evacuate the area.

Shasta County sheriff's officials consulted with water and air quality officials before proceeding with the incineration midday Sunday. Emergency personnel and hazmat teams were standing by.

Sheriff's Lt. Dave Kent says the mandatory evacuations around the Redding home began last week and were expanded on Friday, bringing the total to about 55 homes under evacuation orders.

Kent says the materials in the house are too unstable for deputies to even walk on the property without risking a blast. They were discovered Feb. 6 after authorities responded to an explosion at the home that took off a man's hand.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Catholic 'Kid' Joe Biden Backs Nuns in Battle With Vatican

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 13:26 PM

Vice President Joe Biden has thrown his support behind rebellious American nuns who have come under fire from the Vatica . . .

Stock Gains Lift US Household Wealth to a Record

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 13:23 PM

Strong stock market gains and higher home prices boosted Americans' net worth in the April-June period to a record high, . . .

Ex-SEAL, OPSEC Chair: Hillary Responsible for Benghazi Security

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 13:09 PM

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was personally responsible for the security in Libya when the U.S. consulate i . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved