Dianne Feinstein: New York Times Report on Benghazi Wrong

Image: Dianne Feinstein: New York Times Report on Benghazi Wrong

Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 09:51 PM

By Todd Beamon

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Sen. Dianne Feinstein said that the conclusions reached by The New York Times in its report last month saying that al-Qaida had no role in the Benghazi attacks were wrong.

"I believe that groups loosely associated with al-Qaida were" involved in the attack, the California Democrat told The Hill last week. "That’s my understanding."

Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, also cast doubt on whether the attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, including two former Navy SEALS, was caused by a spontaneous protest to an anti-Islamic video.

"It doesn’t jibe with me," she said.

The Times' lengthy report into the assaults on Sept. 11, 2012, was published on Dec. 28.

In it, the newspaper concluded that they were led "by fighters who had benefited directly from NATO’s extensive air power and logistics support during the uprising against" Col. Moammar Gadhafi. "And contrary to claims by some members of Congress, it was fueled in large part by anger at an American-made video denigrating Islam."

The Times reported that its report had developed from extensive interviews with Islamists in Benghazi.

But the investigation has come under fire by Republicans as misleading, charging that the newspaper had given too much credence to assertions by militants that they had no link to al-Qaida.

Even some of those who were on the ground the night of the attacks at the U.S. Consulate in Libya have attacked the Times' report.

Criticism grew stronger after Times reporter David Kirkpatrick wrote on Twitter that the newspaper "had a reporter on the scene talking to the attackers during the attack."

Still, a Times spokeswoman told the Hill on Tuesday that the report says groups involved were “sympathetic to al-Qaida's goals.”

"The article makes clear that the attack was led by groups sympathetic to al-Qaida's goals but states there is 'no evidence that al-Qaida or other international terrorist groups had any role in the assault,'" Communications Director Danielle Rhoades Ha told the Hill in a statement.

"The article also explains that many of the attackers were motivated by anger at the American-made video denigrating Islam, which they believed was set for its debut on 9/11," she said.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Imam to Hannity: Sharia Law Is 'Coming to a Place Near You'

Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 23:11 PM

Controversial London Imam Anjem Choudary had a heated argument with Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity on the latter's show . . .

Missouri Governor Names New Public Safety Director

Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 22:35 PM

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Wednesday appointed a new state public safety director, giving his administration its only bl . . .

Stifling Free Speech? California Looks to Ban Confederate Flag

Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 22:16 PM

California is looking to bar the "Stars and Bars." A bill sits on Gov. Jerry Brown's desk to ban California from display . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved