Judicial Watch sued the State and Defense departments on Thursday for records on briefings to congressional leaders on the 2012 Benghazi attacks that killed four Americans.
The lawsuit was filed under the Freedom of Information Act by the Washington-based watchdog organization.
Ambassador Chris Stevens and four other Americans, including two former Navy SEALs, died in the attacks on the U.S. compound in Libya on Sept. 11, 2012.
"It has now been nearly two years since the deadly terrorist attack …, and there are still more questions than answers," Tom Fitton, Judicial Watch's president, said in a statement. "In fact, we still don’t even know what information was provided by the Obama administration to the members of the Senate and House leadership and the leadership of the intelligence committees — or whether certain members of Congress were in on the 'cover-up.'"
The statement referenced a 2012 email that Judicial Watch released in April
showing White House Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes advising Susan Rice, who was United Nations ambassador at the time, to link the Benghazi attacks to an anti-Muslim video on YouTube.
Judicial Watch obtained the document in a FOIA lawsuit filed against the State Department last year. Rice is now President Barack Obama's national security adviser.
Republicans said the email confirmed suspicions of a White House cover-up on Benghazi and led House Speaker John Boehner to create a select committee to investigate the attacks. The panel is headed by South Carolina GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy.
"The American people deserve to know that information in order to decide for themselves whether the upcoming investigation by the House select committee is focusing on the issues that matter most," Fitton said.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.