Over 100 Missing Persons Reports Filed in Washington Mudslide

Monday, 24 Mar 2014 02:02 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
More than 100 missing-persons reports have been filed with various agencies in Washington state in the aftermath of a mudslide in which eight deaths have been confirmed, county officials said on Monday.

The landslide was triggered after rain-soaked embankments along State Route 530 near Oso, Washington, about 55 miles northeast of Seattle, gave way on Saturday morning, washing away at least six homes.

In all, at least 49 homes had some level of damage from the slide, said John Pennington, director of the Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management.

The search for victims resumed early on Monday after treacherous quicksand conditions forced rescue workers to suspend their efforts at dusk on Sunday. Some workers, mired in mud up to their armpits, had to be dragged to safety.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

A spokesman for the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office said eight bodies had been found by Sunday evening in the square-mile disaster zone of tangled debris, rocks, trees and mud. Another eight people were injured in the landslide.

On Sunday night, officials put the number of missing at 18 or more, but on Monday morning Pennington said various agencies had collected reports — some specific and others vague — of 108 people who remained unaccounted for after the disaster.

Pennington said that number was likely to decline as survivors initially reported as missing eventually make contact with loved ones and local authorities, or as some reports turn out to overlap with others.

But authorities cast growing doubt on the chances of finding anyone else alive in the tangle of debris and mud that is up to 15 feet deep.

"The situation is very grim," said Travis Hots, Snohomish County District 21 Fire Chief. "We're still holding out hope that we're going to be able to find people that may still be alive. But keep in mind we haven't found anybody alive on this pile since Saturday in the initial stages of our operation."

Washington state Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen has declared a state of emergency in Snohomish County.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Suspect in Killing of Deputies Was Twice Deported

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 23:04 PM

Federal authorities say a man suspected of killing two deputies during a shooting rampage in Northern California was dep . . .

IRS Seizes Money From Those Accused of No Crime

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 22:34 PM

The Internal Revenue Service has been seizing money from the bank accounts of individuals and businesses with no proof,  . . .

Teacher Tried to Stop Washington State Shooting

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 15:56 PM

A union official says a newly hired high school teacher confronted a gunman during a deadly shooting at a Washington sta . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved