Tags:

Accused White House Shooter Ordered Held

Monday, 19 Dec 2011 02:32 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Monday found sufficient evidence that an Idaho man allegedly opened fire on the White House on a late November evening in a bid to assassinate President Barack Obama, ordering that he be held pending an indictment and questioning whether he may have a "Messianic complex".

Oscar Ortega-Hernandez, 21, has been charged with trying to kill the president when he allegedly opened fire on the executive mansion with a Romanian-made semi-automatic weapon on Nov. 11. Obama was in California at the time.

After a lengthy hearing going through the evidence in the case, U.S. Magistrate Judge John Facciola found that there was probable cause that Ortega-Hernandez had committed the crime and ordered him held pending a grand jury review.

Prosecutors have said that Ortega-Hernandez referred to himself as a modern day Jesus Christ and was "chosen" to "take care of" Obama, which led Facciola to question whether the defendant had a "Messianic complex".

Ortega-Hernandez's vehicle was found several blocks from the White House abandoned and with the AK-47-style firearm in the front seat. Several bullets from the assault rifle hit the upper floors of the White House mansion where Obama's and his family's private quarters are located.

His defense attorney raised the possibility that the shooting had nothing to do with the White House but rather a dispute with someone in a yellow truck. They also said no one had positively identified Ortega-Hernandez as the gunman.

He allegedly told authorities that he had been robbed of his car earlier in the day and whoever did that was responsible for the shooting, according to court papers.

Prosecutors showed photographs from surveillance video at a Walmart store that they said was Ortega-Hernandez hours after the apparent robbery took place, a bid to discredit his version of events.

FBI agent Michael Pinto said during the hearing that 12 spent bullet shells were recovered in Ortega-Hernandez's car and that no one else's fingerprints were found in the car. Two bullets and a bullet jacket recovered from the White House were matched to his rifle.

A doctor has determined that Ortega-Hernandez is competent to stand trial despite concerns about his past statements. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison. (Reporting By Jeremy Pelofsky; editing by Anthony Boadle)

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Rabbi Avi Weiss Leads Vigil at Met to Protest Opera

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 17:11 PM

A globally prominent rabbi led Jewish teenagers in a prayer vigil Monday outside the Metropolitan Opera to protest an op . . .

San Francisco Stations Ban 'Royals' During World Series

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 16:39 PM

Lorde's hit song "Royals" has been banned by two San Francisco radio stations until after the World Series, where the Gi . . .

Biden Touts Plans to Fix 'Third World' NYC Airport

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 16:27 PM

Vice President Joe Biden and Gov. Andrew Cuomo are vowing to improve New York's airports, one of which Biden infamously  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved