IG Probing Whether Contractor Fraud Linked to U.S. Afghan Casualties

Tuesday, 23 Jul 2013 04:46 PM

By Lisa Barron

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A preliminary investigation found incidents of fraud in the program designed to protect American troops in Afghanistan by covering roadside drains with metal to stop insurgents from planting bombs, according to a new report by the Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction (SIGAR). http://www.sigar.mil/pdf/investigations/SIGAR-SP-13-8.pdf

The report, released Tuesday, revealed hundreds of so-called "culvert denial systems" were never installed or were installed improperly and said an investigation has been launched "into whether this apparent failure to perform may have been a factor in the death or injury of several U.S. soldiers."

According to the report, "Our preliminary investigation found that at least two Afghan contractors — with a total contract amount of nearly $1 million —in one Afghanistan province have committed fraud by billing the U.S. government for the installation of 250 culvert denial systems that were either never installed or incorrectly installed."

Both men have been charged with fraud and negligent homicide.

"The loss of life because individuals were not doing their job is horrific and unacceptable," Special Inspector General John Sopko told Fox News, adding, "This case shows so clearly that fraud can kill in Afghanistan. We will find out if contracting officers did not do their job and if that proves to be true and Americans have died, we will hold those individuals accountable."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/23/failed-afghan-project-linked-to-us-soldier-deaths-report-finds/

The report also states that SIGAR identified "at least 2,500 specific grid points where culvert denial systems were supposed to be installed, though with the lack of quality assurance/quality control documentation in the contract files, it is not clear how many of those culvert denial systems were actually completed."

Problems with the system were first identified in a safety alert letter sent to the Department of Defense in October 2012.

"We initiated this review in response to the concerns identified in our safety alert letter," stated the report. "We sought to identify the universe of contracts awarded for culvert denial system installation, and the extent to which contract management and oversight were conducted."

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Obama Urged to End Military Spending Caps to Fight ISIS

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 13:46 PM

With the Pentagon spending $10 million a day to fight the Islamic State (ISIS), two leading Republican lawmakers have ca . . .

Alaska Senate Race Heats Up With Candidates Set for Debates

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 13:36 PM

In the last month before Election Day, Republican Dan Sullivan and Democratic Sen. Mark Begich will face off in seven de . . .

Poll: Most Oppose Legal Rights, Benefits for Illegal Immigrants

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 13:10 PM

A significant majority of Americans say that incoming illegal immigrants should not be given the same legal rights or go . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved