Tags: afghan | massacre | bales

US Soldier Pleads Guilty, Describes Afghan Massacre

Wednesday, 05 Jun 2013 02:21 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The American soldier charged with killing 16 Afghan civilians during nighttime raids on two villages last year says he has asked himself many why he did what he did - and has not come up with an answer.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales pleaded guilty to multiple murder charges Wednesday to avoid the death penalty.

He then described the attacks for a military judge, saying he shot each victim.

The judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, asked Bales why he committed the March 2012 killings at two villages near the remote base in southern Afghanistan where he was posted.

Bales responded that he's asked himself that a million times. He said: "There's not a good reason in this world for why I did the horrible things I did."

Bales pleaded guilty to 16 counts of premeditated murder and other charges in the attacks.

Most of the victims were women and children, and some of the bodies were burned; relatives have told The Associated Press they are irate at the notion Bales will escape execution for one of the worst atrocities of the Afghanistan war.

As the hearing began at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle, Nance, explained Bales' rights and asked if he understood them. Bales stood and answered: "Yes, sir, I do."

Defense attorney Emma Scanlan then entered Bales' pleas on his behalf. She entered one not guilty plea, to a charge that he impeded the investigation by breaking his laptop after he was taken into custody.

Bales, 39, has signed a lengthy stipulation of facts about his actions the night of the attacks.

Although Wednesday's proceedings provided Bales' account for the first time, survivors who testified by video link from Afghanistan during a hearing last fall vividly recalled the carnage.

A young girl in a bright headscarf described hiding behind her father as he was shot to death. Boys told of hiding behind curtains as others scrambled and begged the soldier to spare them, yelling: "We are children! We are children!" A thick-bearded man told of being shot in the neck by a gunman "as close as this bottle," gesturing to a water bottle on a table in front of him.

Prosecutors say that before dawn on March 11, 2012, Bales slipped away from Camp Belambay in Kandahar Province, armed with a 9 mm pistol and M-4 rifle outfitted with a grenade launcher.

He first attacked one village of mud-walled compounds, Alkozai, then returned to the base, woke up a fellow soldier and told him about it. The soldier didn't believe him and went back to sleep. Bales then left to attack a second village, Najiban.

The massacre prompted such angry protests that the U.S. temporarily halted combat operations in Afghanistan, and it was three weeks before Army investigators could reach the crime scene.

Bales was serving his fourth combat deployment and had an otherwise good if undistinguished military record in a decade-long career. The Ohio native suffered from PTSD and a traumatic brain injury, his lawyers say, and he had been drinking contraband alcohol and snorting Valium - both provided by other soldiers - the night of the killings.

The case raised questions about the toll multiple deployments were taking on American troops. For that reason, many legal experts believed it was unlikely he would receive the death penalty, as Army prosecutors were seeking. The military justice system hasn't executed anyone since 1961, but five men currently face death sentences.

"Any time you can strike a deal that saves your client's life, I would call that a win," said Dan Conway, a civilian military defense lawyer who is not involved in the case. "This is the right result for both parties."


© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Bill Would Limit Transfer of Military Gear to Police

Tuesday, 16 Sep 2014 22:30 PM

Two members of Congress are trying to stop the military from arming local police forces with high-caliber weapons, grena . . .

Average American Woman's Waistline Grows to 39 Inches: CDC

Tuesday, 16 Sep 2014 16:40 PM

Americans' belt size continues to inch up, and women's waistlines are widening faster than men's, according to new gover . . .

Union Appeals Rice's Indefinite Suspension by NFL

Tuesday, 16 Sep 2014 22:08 PM

The NFL players' union appealed Ray Rice's indefinite suspension Tuesday night.Rice was originally handed a two-game sus . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved