Fox Reporter Seeks to Keep Aurora Massacre Sources Secret

Monday, 11 Nov 2013 03:51 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

New York's highest court is set to consider whether state law protects a Fox News reporter from having to reveal the names of her sources for a story about the man accused of killing 12 people in a suburban Denver movie theater last year.

James Holmes' lawyers want Jana Winters to name the people who told her he had mailed a notebook depicting violence to a psychiatrist. They say the sources violated a gag order, may have lied under oath and won't be credible as trial witnesses.

Holmes has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. His murder trial is scheduled for February.

A Manhattan judge granted a subpoena for Winters' testimony and notes, rejecting a claim she's protected under New York's shield law for journalists.

A split midlevel court agreed. The Court of Appeals hears arguments Tuesday.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Leahy Asks Comcast to Pledge Not to Add Internet 'Fast Lanes'

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 19:24 PM

Sen. Patrick Leahy on Monday asked Comcast, the nation's largest provider of broadband Internet service, to promise not  . . .

Mark Steyn: GOP May Win Elections, but Liberals Control US

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 19:21 PM

Columnist and author Mark Steyn said Monday that even if Republicans win big in the midterm elections, the more conserva . . .

Charles Schumer: Military Ebola Response Plan Not Good Enough

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 18:54 PM

The U.S. military's plan for a quick-response strike team to respond to reported infections of the deadly Ebola virus wi . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved