Tags: US | Visa | Lottery | Lawsuit

Dozens Mistakenly Told They Won Visa Lottery Are Suing

Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 06:21 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

Dozens of people who were mistakenly told they had won a spot to apply for a U.S. visa through the annual visa lottery system are suing the U.S. government.

French native Armande Gil is a psychologist in Miami who is among those seeking class action status for a federal lawsuit filed last week in Washington. Gil said Tuesday she spent time and money preparing for her new life and was devastated to learn it was just a bureaucratic snafu. She and others want to be reinstated as lottery winners.

Roughly 22,000 individuals were told in May they had been selected though they would still have to pass background checks. Then immigration officials discovered the supposedly random selection was skewed due to a computer glitch. A new lottery is set for July 15.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

NYC Races to Trace Ebola Patient's Steps

Friday, 24 Oct 2014 08:05 AM

New York City health officials are racing to trace people who may have had contact with Ebola patient Dr. Craig Spencer, . . .

Women Start Tuning Out NFL for Abuse-Case Mistakes

Friday, 24 Oct 2014 07:04 AM

Some women are starting to tune out the National Football League as it deals with the fallout from its mishandling of do . . .

Bo Dietl: Stop-and-Frisk Would Have Averted Hatchet Attack

Friday, 24 Oct 2014 06:44 AM

Former New York Police detective Bo Dietl says the ending of the department's stop-and-frisk policy is partly to blame f . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved