Tags: US | Prison | Mistaken | Release

Fla. Police Have Suspects in Escaped Inmate Probe

Tuesday, 22 Oct 2013 12:40 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

Authorities in Florida say they are looking at several suspects in the investigation of two prisoners who escaped with phony documents, but so far they have made no arrests.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Gerald Bailey said Tuesday that the convicted killers who escaped are not cooperating. Bailey would not talk specifically about the suspects authorities are looking at.

He says the documents that led to the mistaken release of Joseph Jenkins and Charles Walker were mailed in to the court clerk's office in Orlando. Investigators are still trying to figure out who made the documents.

Bailey says they found an iPad and cell phone at a Panama City motel where Jenkins and Walker were captured Saturday and they are reviewing them for evidence.

Earlier story:

At least seven inmates in Florida have used forged documents in attempts to escape from prison, including two killers who were mistakenly freed because of the paperwork, authorities said Tuesday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement planned a news conference Tuesday to provide details about the phony paperwork. Agency spokeswoman Gretel Plessinger said so far they have discovered seven prisoners tried to escape with forged documents.

Joseph Jenkins and Charles Walker were let out of a Panhandle prison because of the fake paperwork, which reduced their life sentences to 15 years, authorities said. They were captured Saturday at a Panama City motel.

Their release led the Corrections Department to change its policy for early prisoner releases. It also caused the chief judge in the judicial circuit that covers Orange and Osceola counties in metro Orlando to change how orders are filed in the clerks of courts offices. The forged paperwork that led to the release of Jenkins and Walker was filed in the Orange County Clerk of Courts office.

Chief Circuit Judge Belvin Perry signed an order Monday that prohibits judicial orders from being accepted at drop-off boxes. His order also requires judicial assistants to keep a log of all orders to change an inmate's prison sentence.

When the clerk's office gets an order to change a sentence, the clerk must verify with the judge or judicial assistant that the order was issued, according to the new measures.

___


© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Netflix Backs Government-Run Internet

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 19:35 PM

Netflix, the company that streams movies and original programming over the Internet, has weighed in on a petition to the . . .

Pipeline Fighters Condemn Neb. Congressman's Mock Playlist

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 19:28 PM

Nebraska Congressman Lee Terry is duking it out with oil pipeline fighters again, this time over a mock playlist Terry's . . .

Ex-CIA Agent: ISIS Is in America; Some Have Entered from Mexico

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 17:49 PM

Islamic State (ISIS) cells are already in the United States, and some of them have entered by crossing the Mexican borde . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved