Tags: US | Police Shooting | Missouri | National Guard

Mo. Gov. Nixon Calls Off Ferguson Curfew

Image: Mo. Gov. Nixon Calls Off Ferguson Curfew Missouri Governor Jay Nixon. (Lucas Jackson/Reuters/Landov)

Monday, 18 Aug 2014 02:11 PM

 

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says no curfew will be in place early Tuesday morning in Ferguson, and the National Guard keeping watch there will have immediate and limited" responsibilities.

A midnight to 5 a.m. curfew had been in place the previous two nights.

Nixon ordered the National Guard into the St. Louis suburb following another night of rioting, more than a week after a Ferguson police officer fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown.

In a statement Monday, Nixon said Missouri National Guard Brigadier General Gregory Mason will oversee Guard operations in Ferguson under the overall command of the state highway patrol. He says the Guard's limited role will be to provide protection and ensure the safety of the police command center that was believed to be targeted Sunday night.

© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Poll: 77 Percent Favor Government Action on Climate Change

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 11:15 AM

A significant majority of the American public, including nearly half of Republican voters, support policies that would s . . .

Gun Rights' Groups to Texas Pols: Grow a Spine on Open Carry

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 11:01 AM

Many Texans are furious over what they perceive to be wavering support from Republican state legislators over enacting a . . .

George Zimmerman Assault Case Dropped After Ex-Girlfriend Recants

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 10:30 AM

Authorities say they are dropping their aggravated assault case against George Zimmerman after his ex-girlfriend stopped . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved