Tags: US | Gay | Marriage | Trial

Evidence Skirmish Could Delay End of Prop 8 Trial

Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010 06:51 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

An attempt by civil rights groups to keep sponsors of California's same-sex marriage ban from obtaining internal campaign documents could delay a verdict in the federal trial on the constitutionality of Proposition 8, lawyers on both sides said Tuesday.

Attorneys warned of the possible bottleneck during a hearing where a federal judge was asked to overrule a magistrate who ordered organizations challenging the ban to turn over memos and e-mails to lawyers defending the voter-approved measure.

"The real burden that is going to be imposed here if your honor affirms the magistrate's ruling is the resolution of these incredibly important issues is going to be delayed, whether you like it or not," ACLU lawyer Stephen Bomse told Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker.

The trial — the first in federal court to examine if the U.S. Constitution prevents states from outlawing same-sex marriage — has been on hiatus since late January, when Walker said he wanted to review the evidence before scheduling closing arguments.

At that time, the defense reserved the right to present more evidence before resting its case because its skirmish with the civil rights groups over the campaign documents was unresolved.

Walker heard more than 90 minutes of arguments Tuesday and said he would issue a written ruling later.

The three groups that opposed Proposition 8 are challenging U.S. Magistrate Joseph Spero's order earlier this month requiring them to hand over all documents "that contain, refer or relate to arguments for or against Proposition 8," with the exception of private communications between their core leaders.

At Tuesday's hearing, lawyers for those groups contended the disputed e-mails and memos were irrelevant to the case, and it was unfair to make the groups sift through tens of thousands of documents because they were not officially part of the litigation.

"We are not the people who sought passage of this initiative," Bomse said.

The wrangling mirrors pretrial disagreements between lawyers.

A federal appeals court eventually ruled that exchanges among top campaign officials about strategy and messaging could be withheld, but information disseminated more broadly was fair game in the trial.

Jesse Panuccio, a lawyer for Proposition 8 supporters, told Walker that it was only reasonable to require opponents of the ban to abide by the same disclosure requirements as supporters.

Plaintiffs have tried to prove that outlawing same-sex marriage serves no legitimate purpose, and the defense wants to see if their private conversations showed they thought otherwise during the campaign, Panuccio said.

If the judge forces the civil rights groups to turn over the documents by the end of March, a possible appeal could further push back the closing arguments, ACLU staff attorney Elizabeth Gill said.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Bill Clinton: World's Borders More 'Like Nets Than Walls'

Friday, 19 Sep 2014 06:14 AM

Power is more diffuse in a technologically advanced world, and that means inclusiveness is the only way to battle the wo . . .

Report: Washington Full of Cell Phone Spying Devices

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 22:12 PM

The Washington, D.C., area is littered with devices that spy on users' cellphones, and one expert thinks they were plant . . .

Man Kills Daughter, Six Grandchildren in Murder-Suicide

Thursday, 18 Sep 2014 21:43 PM

A 51-year-old Florida man shot dead his daughter and six grandchildren in his home before killing himself on Thursday, a . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved