Tags: US | JFK | Terror | Plot

JFK Terror Plot Suspect Pleads to Lesser Charge

Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 02:24 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

One of four men accused of plotting to blow up fuel lines and planes at John F. Kennedy International Airport has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.

Abdel Nur, of Guyana, faces up to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty Tuesday to a charge of providing material support of terrorists.

The 60-year-old and three other men were accused of plotting to kill thousands of people and cause and economic catastrophe by blowing up the airport.

The material support charge was not part of the original indictment against Nur. If he had been convicted at trial he could have been sentenced to life in prison.

Trial is scheduled to start Wednesday for two of the other men. They have been charged with conspiracy. The fourth is being tried separately.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP) — One of three men accused of plotting to blow up fuel lines and planes at John F. Kennedy International Airport pleaded guilty Tuesday to a lesser charge, avoiding a possible life sentence if he had been convicted at trial.

Abdel Nur, of Guyana, now pleaded guilty to providing material support of terrorists, a charge that was not in the original indictment against him. He faces up to 15 years in prison.

The 60-year-old and two other men were accused of plotting to kill thousands of people and cause and economic catastrophe by blowing up the airport. Trial was scheduled to start Wednesday for the two other men, who have been charged with conspiracy.

An indictment unsealed in 2007 said the men hoped to "cause greater destruction than in the Sept. 11 attacks" by using explosives to ignite the fuel pipeline feeding JFK and destroy the airport and parts of Queens, where the line runs underground.

The plot, which the men code-named Chicken Farm, never got past the planning stages, authorities said.

Nur and the other men were brought to New York in 2008 after being taken into custody in Trinidad, where they spent more than a year fighting extradition. A judge there rejected arguments they couldn't get a fair trial in the United States.

(This version corrects that there are 4 defendants, one of whom is being tried separately.)

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Apple Probes Report ICloud Was Hacked to Gain Stars' Nude Photos

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 17:21 PM

Apple Inc., which is poised to unveil new iPhones next week, said it's investigating reports that hackers used its iClou . . .

Dem Rep. Larson on Congressional Recess: 'We're AWOL'

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 16:41 PM

A Democratic congressman has blasted Congress for going "AWOL" by taking its annual Fall recess, which is mandated under . . .

Apparent Massive Hack Reveals Nude Pictures of Stars

Monday, 01 Sep 2014 15:36 PM

Scandal rocked both Hollywood and the US tech industry Monday after an apparent massive hack of a cloud data service unl . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved