Two Indicted in N.Y. Subway Bombing Plot

Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 02:29 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
NEW YORK – Two high school classmates of admitted terrorist plotter Najibullah Zazi were indicted Thursday in a foiled scheme to bomb New York City subways that a prosecutor said al-Qaida leadership directed.

Zarein Ahmedzay and Adis Medunjanin, both 25, pleaded not guilty in federal court in Brooklyn to charges of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country and providing material support to the al-Qaida terrorist network.

Zazi, the former Colorado air shuttle driver who aroused authorities' attention when he drove cross-country from Denver to New York last fall, pleaded guilty to similar charges this week.

The three men were planning an attack on city subway lines last September under the direction of leaders of the al-Qaida terrorist network that would have been similar to the 2005 London subway bombings that killed more than 50 people, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeff Knox said.

Other "overseas" defendants probably will be named in the plot, Knox said.

"The facts alleged in this indictment shed further light on the scope of this attempted attack and underscore the importance of using every tool we have available to both disrupt plots against our nation and hold suspected terrorists accountable," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. "This attack would have been deadly."

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said this week that Zazi and two other bombers planned to attack rush-hour commuters on Manhattan subway lines to kill as many people as possible. He didn't name the two other suspects but said the plot had been disrupted.

Authorities have told The Associated Press that Zazi cooperated with federal investigators before his guilty pleas this week. Asked whether Zazi would testify against his client, Ahmedzay's attorney Michael Marinaccio said, "That's a likely scenario."

Medunjanin and Ahmedzay, who authorities say traveled to Pakistan with Zazi in 2008, already had faced charges in the alleged plot.

Medunjanin has pleaded not guilty to charges he conspired to kill U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. His lawyer, Robert C. Gottlieb, said this week he didn't know whether Zazi told prosecutors anything about his client, but Zazi's decision to plead guilty "obviously affects the overall prosecution."

Ahmedzay has pleaded not guilty to charges that he lied to the FBI during the probe about places he visited during the 2008 trip.

Zazi's uncle, father and a Queens imam face lesser charges in the case.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Kim Novak Hits Back at Post-Oscar 'Bullies'

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 19:57 PM

Veteran actress Kim Novak has lashed out at the bullies who mocked and criticized her appearance at the Academy Awards . . .

Few Clues as to How US Mystery Jet Ended Up in Iran

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 19:51 PM

The saga of an American plane owned in trust by a little bank in Utah that wound up at an airport in Iran's capital this . . .

Teen Suspended for Asking Miss America to Prom

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 19:36 PM

A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session  . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved