Report: Tennessee Has Nation's Highest Sales Taxes

Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 01:20 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Tennessee’s combined state and local sales tax rate of 9.45 percent is highest among the 50 U.S. states, according to the Washington-based Tax Foundation.

Consumers in Tennessee pay an average local tax of 2.45 percent in addition to a statewide levy of 7 percent, the foundation, a nonprofit research group, said in a report yesterday.

Arkansas had the second-highest combined rate at 9.19 percent, followed by Louisiana at 8.89 percent.

Among other key findings in the report:

  • Forty-five states collect sales taxes and 38 states collect local sales taxes.
  • Virginia, Arkansas, Ohio, and Maine recently raised sales tax rates.
  • Arizona, Kansas, and the District of Columbia have recently cut
  • sales tax rates.

While California has the highest statewide sales tax at 7.5 percent, the population-weighted average of local levies is just 0.91 percent, bringing the total to 8.41 percent, or eighth-highest.

Delaware, New Hampshire and Oregon have no state or local sales taxes, according to the Tax Foundation. Tennessee, with 6.5 million residents, is one of nine states with no tax on wages.

Tennessee collected $4.8 billion in state sales taxes between July 1 and Feb. 28, equal to about two-thirds of total revenue, according to data released March 12. Collections increased 3.3 percent compared with the same period in the previous fiscal year.

Debt sold by Tennessee and its localities earned 3.03 percent this year through March 17, compared with the 3.36 percent in the broader $3.7 trillion municipal-bond market, Barclays Plc data show.

© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

California to Appeal Ruling Overturning Teacher Job Protections

Saturday, 30 Aug 2014 08:02 AM

California will appeal a controversial court decision that overturned some job protections for public school teachers an . . .

Death of Man Restrained by NYC Police Ruled a Homicide

Saturday, 30 Aug 2014 07:47 AM

The death of a man who was restrained by police during a drug-fueled outburst was ruled a homicide by the city's medical . . .

Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted

Saturday, 30 Aug 2014 07:34 AM

President Barack Obama is asking Americans this Labor Day to think about the rights and benefits that people often take  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved