Poll: NJ Superstorm Sandy Victims Disappointed With Recovery Pace

Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014 12:39 PM

By Drew MacKenzie

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Hard-hit Superstorm Sandy victims in New Jersey are dissatisfied with the speed of the state and federal recovery efforts, the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey reported, citing a Monmouth University survey.

The survey found that 64 percent of the people who have applied for state assistance under the reNew Jersey Stronger program were not happy with the recovery timeline.

Only 36 percent were satisfied with the pace of the assistance they had received, according to the poll of 854 New Jersey residents who had suffered serious damage to their homes in the 2012 storm and had applied for state assistance.

They were particularly disappointed about the lack of information they were getting from authorities about what stage their applications had reached in the program.

Only 21 percent of people still displaced from the storm are satisfied, according to the poll.
But 49 percent of people in the Garden State who have moved back into their homes said they were satisfied, while 47 percent who were displaced for less than a month approved of the recovery work.

The survey also revealed that almost three out of every four people seeking assistance, 74 percent of applicants, felt they have been "largely forgotten" in the recovery program. The other 26 percent felt the program had sought to help them as quickly as possible.

Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, said, "Applicants for New Jersey's recovery assistance tend to be negative about the program so far, especially those who have not been able to get back into their homes more than a year after the storm hit."

The institute conducted the survey between Sept. 18 and Jan. 8.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Ministers May Be Jailed for Refusing to Perform Gay Wedding

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 14:52 PM

Two Christian ministers have been told if they refuse to perform same-sex weddings, they could be subject to a $1,000 fi . . .

Two Years Later, Feds Still Eying Steyer and Musk Companies

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 14:26 PM

Companies financed by billionaires Tom Steyer and Elon Musk remain under investigation by the U.S. Treasury Department m . . .

Kaiser: 89% of Uninsured Don't Know to Sign Up for Obamacare

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 14:03 PM

Obamacare administrators are promising a better sign-up experience for the plan's second annual enrollment period that o . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved