Hard-hit Superstorm Sandy victims in New Jersey are dissatisfied with the speed of the state and federal recovery efforts, the Asbury Park Press
in New Jersey reported, citing a Monmouth University survey.
The survey found that 64 percent of the people who have applied for state assistance under the reNew Jersey Stronger program were not happy with the recovery timeline.
Only 36 percent were satisfied with the pace of the assistance they had received, according to the poll of 854 New Jersey residents who had suffered serious damage to their homes in the 2012 storm and had applied for state assistance.
They were particularly disappointed about the lack of information they were getting from authorities about what stage their applications had reached in the program.
Only 21 percent of people still displaced from the storm are satisfied, according to the poll.
But 49 percent of people in the Garden State who have moved back into their homes said they were satisfied, while 47 percent who were displaced for less than a month approved of the recovery work.
The survey also revealed that almost three out of every four people seeking assistance, 74 percent of applicants, felt they have been "largely forgotten" in the recovery program. The other 26 percent felt the program had sought to help them as quickly as possible.
Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, said, "Applicants for New Jersey's recovery assistance tend to be negative about the program so far, especially those who have not been able to get back into their homes more than a year after the storm hit."
The institute conducted the survey between Sept. 18 and Jan. 8.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.