Ronald Reagan faced problems similar to those bedeviling the nation now. (Getty Images Photo)
The Heritage Foundation
is giving Ronald Reagan fans the chance to express their feelings about the late president on the occasion of his 101st birthday by signing a virtual Happy Birthday card on the think tank’s Facebook page.
The foundation’s tribute to the 40th president of the United States, who was born in Tampico, Ill. on Feb. 6, 1911, notes the similarities between the problems confronting the nation today and those Reagan had to grapple with when he moved in to the Oval Office in 1981.
“The circumstances that Reagan faced are not unlike those that America sees today,” Mike Brownfield wrote in the Heritage tribute. “The United States faces the threat of entitlement spending growing out of control, a massive debt, a looming tax burden, soaring energy prices, and security threats around the globe. And like Reagan, America’s leaders are faced with a choice: More government or less, a weaker military or a stronger one? We know from history what Reagan would have done. And we also know why he would have done it.”
The short comments contained in the birthday card signings reflect the great respect and love that many felt for Reagan. But some also reflect a loss of faith in today’s political leadership and a sense that the country will never be as strong or united as it was during the Reagan era.
Among some of the entries:
- “Happy Birthday to God’s gift to Conservatives. Rest in Peace, Gipper!”
- “Happy Birthday, President Reagan! Your legacy is completely intact and your policies are sorely missed. You gave us freedom. It’s hard to believe we’re on the cusp of losing everything. You’re sorely missed.”
- “This president brought the nation back to a sense of pride and confidence it has almost never had since.”
- “Under you employment went up and my husband was able to get a job in his line of employment.”
- “We could use another man of conservative principle – soon!”
- “Please come back and fix the mess these Democrats made of things – again!!!”
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.