Los Angeles Priest Removed for Affair 40 Years Ago

Saturday, 12 Feb 2011 09:45 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Catholic priest who admitted having a sexual relationship with a high school girl more than 40 years ago has been removed from the priesthood, and a high-ranking official who oversaw the background checks of priests has resigned.

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles announced Friday that the Rev. Martin P. O'Loghlen, who worked at Holy Name of Mary Church in San Dimas, was no longer a priest.

The 74-year-old O'Loghlen is accused of having a long-term sexual relationship with the teenage girl beginning in 1960.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Cardinal Roger M. Mahony separately accepted the resignation of the Archdiocesan Vicar for Clergy, Msgr. Michael Meyers. Archdiocese spokesman Tod Tamberg says Meyers had been in charge of ensuring that no sexual predators remained in ministry positions.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Obamacare Falls Short in Enrollees Age 18-35 With a Low 28%

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 10:32 AM

The Obama administration has announced that the number of people age 18-35 enrolled in Obamacare is 28 percent — a figur . . .

Book: Obama Told Advisers to Find 'Way Out' of Defending DOMA

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 10:16 AM

President Barack Obama ordered his top advisers to find "a way out" of defending the Defense of Marriage Act, a new book . . .

Obama Touts $15M Solar Power Plan to Fight Climate Change

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 08:52 AM

The Obama administration has a launched a $15 million solar energy package in its battle to combat climate change.  . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved