Tags: Pataki | Blasio | charter | knees

Pataki: New Mayor 'Cuts Charter Schools off at Knees'

Image: Pataki: New Mayor 'Cuts Charter Schools off at Knees'

Monday, 10 Mar 2014 08:36 AM

By Melanie Batley

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Former Gov. George Pataki has blasted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio for his  decision to cut off building funds and public space for charter schools, and the mayor  now faces three new lawsuits over the issue.

"De Blasio is cutting charter schools off at the knees," Pataki told The New York Post.  "It's an outrageous abuse of political power."

He added, "This is about empowering the educational monopoly and bureaucracy at the expense of children. If they cared about children, they wouldn't take this choice away. It's about politicians wanting control. It's about the political left trying to control everything."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

De Blasio has cut $210 million in building funds for charter schools, aborted space-sharing arrangements for three schools, and plans to charge some charter schools rent for operating in city-run facilities, reversing the policy of former mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Pataki pushed through the city's first school-choice legislation in the 1990s, overcoming intense resistance, and established an initial charter school law in 1998, the Post reported.

De Blasio has already been roundly criticized by parents and charter school advocates who say the policies are an assault on poor and minority children who have seen the greatest educational benefits from the system.

Meanwhile, three new lawsuits have been launched to try to halt the mayor's policy.

The Success Academy, a charter-school network, is filing a federal civil-rights lawsuit to overturn the decision that would prevent Central Harlem middle school from sharing space with a public school, according to the Post.

Success officials are also filing a case in the state capital Albany to try to reverse de Blasio's decision to prevent two new Success Academy elementary schools from opening despite the applications having been approved by Bloomberg.

De Blasio's office has defended his decisions as fair and equitable.

"The administration is already taking steps to resolve concerns we have received by some parents. In our decision, we set consistent, objective, commonsense standards — most importantly protecting students with disabilities," Phil Wolzak, a City Hall spokesman, told the Post.

"We remain deeply committed to the rights of all students, and ensuring every child has access to a great education."

Former Mayor Rudy Guiliani has also blasted the administration's approach, and de Blasio looks set for a stand-off with Gov. Andrew Cuomo who had promised parents that he would guarantee charter schools are funded and that they have the physical space to operate.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Related stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Administration Freed Illegal Immigrants Charged with Homicide

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 12:25 PM

Illegal immigrants charged with violent crimes and serious felonies were among the hundreds of criminals the Obama admin . . .

Fewest Americans in 14 Years File Jobless Claims

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 11:52 AM

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits rose last week, but the underlying trend pointed to  . . .

Senators Ask Govt for Nationwide Air-Bag Recall

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 11:36 AM

Two U.S. senators are calling on U.S. auto safety regulators to immediately issue a nationwide recall for cars with faul . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved