Pentagon Review Says Navy Yard Shooting Could Have Been Avoided

Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 02:19 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered new Pentagon security procedures on Tuesday after reviews found last year's deadly Navy Yard shooting could have been averted if concerns about the gunman's mental health been properly addressed.

Hagel told a Pentagon news conference the reviews found "troubling gaps" in the Defense Department's ability to "detect, prevent and respond to instances where someone working for us, a government employee, member of our military, or a contractor, decides to inflict harm on this institution and its people."

A Navy review of the attack, which killed 12 people, found the gunman's employer failed to inform the government it had concerns about his mental condition. The report said the Navy itself had earlier failed to properly evaluate and report the behavior of the shooter, Aaron Alexis, who was working for a defense contractor and entered the facility using his access card.

Alexis, a former sailor, had reported hearing voices and being unable to sleep in the weeks leading up to the Navy Yard shooting rampage. He also had prior brushes with the law after firing a gun but the charges against him were dropped.

The Navy review concluded that leaders of the information technology company The Experts "specifically ... decided not to inform the government of adverse information concerning Alexis' emotional, mental, or personality condition," even though they had concerns that Alexis might cause harm to others.

"This information was not reported to the government as required," the Navy review found. "Had this information been reported, properly adjudicated and acted upon, Alexis' authorization to access secure facilities and information would have been revoked."

A separate, independent review, carried out at Hagel's request, concluded the Pentagon grants far too many people secret security clearances, as it did to Alexis, even though he never needed it to perform his Navy job.

The clearance in turn helped him obtain employment once he left the Navy with a defense contractor working on secret-level information systems at the Washington Navy Yard.

Alexis, 34, entered that base the morning of Sept. 16 carrying a concealed sawed-off shotgun, the Navy report found. He killed 12 people and wounding four before being slain by police an hour and 10 minutes after first opening fire.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Rasmussen Poll Finds Strong Support for Voter ID Laws

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 14:44 PM

Voters still strongly support state voter ID laws and don't believe they discriminate, even though the Department of Jus . . .

Hate Crimes Decrease in DC, But Race-Based Incidents Rise

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 13:34 PM

The total number of hate crimes in the District of Columbia declined in 2013 while those based solely on race rose by ne . . .

Report: Obamacare Coverage Worries Highest Among Republicans

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 13:20 PM

While most workers are concerned that their employers will shift them to worse health plans under Obamacare, the concern . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved