Following his supervised release from prison, the filmmaker behind the "Innocence of Muslims" — the video blamed for spurring violent anti-American protests in several Middle Eastern countries last year — says he has no regrets and is promising more projects about Islam.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, who was imprisoned following the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, said in an interview with the Daily Caller,
"I want the world to see the truth."
Nakoula was not connected to the attack, but was arrested after the Obama administration initially claimed that his anti-Islam film had incited the violence in Benghazi.
As it turned out, by making the film he had violated the terms of his probation on a previous felony conviction that prohibited him from using the Internet or an alias. He used the name Sam Bacile to make his film and post trailers on YouTube
The clips, which were seen as denigrating the prophet Muhammad, sparked anti-Western protests at the U.S. embassies in Cairo and the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, and initially were blamed by the Obama administration for inciting the attack in Benghazi.
In his Daily Caller interview, Nakoula described his film as "more political than religious" and claimed to draw on more than "a thousand books written by Islamic scholars and a lifelong study" of Islam in Egypt to make each scene.
"I have many Muslim friends. They do not believe in terrorism culture like many others. We have to keep fighting against this culture to protect our future generations and our civilization," he said. "This war does not use weapons but minds . . . I am talking about how much the world will suffer because of this culture if we do not stop it as soon as possible."
Nakoula said he now is writing a book based on the film.
"The first reason I am writing this book is to tell the world we never forget our heroes, and the second reason is to tell [everyone] that I am not afraid," he wrote in a foreword obtained by the Daily Caller.
Nakoula reportedly has been targeted for assassination by several Muslim clerics, including the head of Hezbollah.
He spoke to the Daily Caller from an undisclosed location in southern California, where he remains in federal custody in a halfway house. He said authorities have promised to release him within the next two months.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.