While many Republicans are most concerned about stamping out illegal immigration, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is more
concerned about stepping up legal immigration.
“Our immigration laws are shutting out too many immigrants that our economy needs,” he writes in The Hill
. “If this continues, the consequences for our future will be dire. We cannot remain the world’s economic superpower while turning away the world’s most talented and hardest-working people.”
Bloomberg says Congress should:
- Allow foreign students to “stay here [after graduation] and be part of our future or we will watch our future disappear with them.”
- “Stop telling foreign entrepreneurs to build their companies in other countries.”
- “Stop telling American companies that they cannot hire the high-skilled workers they need.”
- “Ensure that major industries that rely on workers just starting up the economic ladder, such as agriculture and tourism, have access to foreign workers when they cannot fill the jobs with American workers.”
- “Begin allocating more green cards based on economic needs.”
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.